Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Aug. 05, 2019 1 min read

Remember: it is much scarier to say "the market" is down 721.74 points than to say it is down 2.73%! Don't tell them which market you are referring to either!

Everyone knows that the most effective way to be dramatic today about price changes in an index is to use the point drop in the Wilshire 5000 and to only say "the market was down more than 900 points."

If you want to maximize drama or to sell your market timing newsletter do not ever say that the market is only up [XYZ]% over the last five or ten years. Loss aversion, present moment bias and availability bias are the friends of a storyteller!

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.