Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Aug. 07, 2019 1 min read

"we have a realtime observability platform built from the ground up"
"we have a deterministic AI that tells you what the root cause is"
"drill down with unlimited cardinality, no lag, and no sampling"

#shitmyvendorsays

when you read between the lines of all these foofy claims, the secret sauce is aggregation.

if they don't sample, then they pre-aggregate.

and if they aggregate, then it's not observability, because o11y hinges on your ability to *ask new questions*, and that means raw events.

i also like "second-level granularity". that means all the requests that happen over the course of a second, get smushed into a single number.

a lot of shit happens in a second, y'all.

"i can narrow the bug down to these ten thousand requests" does sound less impressive 🙃

if you're running at scale and you want observability, you're ultimately gonna be doing some kind of dynamic sampling.

it's not scary. turns out most 200 OK requests to most endpoints are bo-ring and you don't care about them.

can we make sampling the hawt new bandwagon to jump on? because it really is like magic.

have your cake and eat it too: WITH SAMPLING!

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.