Sloth Mom @CaseyExplosion Internet sloth, and gigantic nerd. Profile pic by @Skutchdraws and banner by @LiquidAzalea. She/her. Streaming Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sun at: twitch.tv/caseyexplosion Aug. 12, 2019 1 min read

Blaming videosgame for mass shootings isn't quite the 90's rerun I expected, but I'm leaning towards this whole reheated moral panic being a distraction, and I'm reminded that Trump's brother Robert is on the Zenimax board of directors.

It's the same thing they've done last year, putting out that montage of violent clips from games in response to the Parkland shooting. Stoking old moral panics so that people are reflexively going to talk about that, instead of the issue of gun control.

Anything that keeps the conversation from being about white supremacy and ease of access to guns. It's wagging the dog. It's cynical, but ultimately it hardly hurts the videosgame industry. Moral panics are good for sales anyway.

And as much as I wouldn't put it past Trump and his cronies to censor media to protect gun sales for NRA lobbyists, the games industry has his ear too.

You can follow @CaseyExplosion.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.