Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Aug. 15, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

1/ 1972 was about the time some economists believe the world *ran out of new ideas* based on their "total factor productivity (TFP)" calculations! The advertisements in Electronics magazine in 1972 notify readers of the name of the person you should write your letter to!

2/ Also in that magazine in 1972: "Developers of the Soviet Union's third-generation computer (EC 1020) which is now going into 'mass production' still haven't worked out the necessary programs for end-users, reflecting similar problems that beset its predecessor, the Minsk 32."

3/ 32."

3/ “Manufacturers are supplying EC 1020 computers without proper programming and often without memory units… high ranking Communist party officials are deeply concerned about the continuing lags.” The goal to be IBM 360/60 compatible wasn't achieved. What went wrong?

4/ Modems in 2019 are no better than this one advertised in 1972. Everyone knows this.

In 1972 if you bought hardware from DEC you received software (Casette Basic!) for free, but not OS/8 Batch for your PDP-8 system which had a price of $300.

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader