[Regarding PLA's Deployment]
1. It is extremely worrying & troubling to see large-scale PLA military/PAP (People’s Armed Police Force) buildup at the Shenzhen border. In fact, a garrison of at least 6,000 soldiers have stationed in HK since 1997, which can be easily mobilized.
2. The imagery of troops comes amid growing tensions of HK protests and many recalled the violent crackdown in Tiananmen 30 years ago. I wish to state clearly that, any signs of military crackdown on would represent the end of the One Country, Two Systems.
3. Military intervention wouldn't only cause chilling effect to civil liberties of HKers, but also devastating impact on global financial market. Beijing will suffer huge consequences & damage to HK econ if China sends troops, sadly, no guarantee PresidentXi will act rationally.
4. The protests over the past two months demonstrated the versatile, resilient and liberal character of HK people, who dare to stand up against a heartless government for the future of this city. It would be utterly wrong to respond to people's voice in military means.
5. Leaders of the world should not keep silence on the authoritarian rule of Xi. Speak up because Tiananmen square massacre CAN'T happen in HK again. The solution to the current crisis is clear, free election.
You can follow @joshuawongcf.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.