Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Aug. 16, 2019 1 min read

Just realized why being in Florida this week felt so weird and existentially jarring.

Last time I was there was 2004, when I flew in to be a poll watcher for Bush/Kerry. The first election I ever voted for the Democrat ticket.

I was a conservative libertarian from lily white Idaho when the Iraq war broke out and I went... what the fuck? This is not the limited government I was promised. And this Supreme Court "election" sure smells.

I was in for a disillusioning decade or two. 😕

I signed up to be a poll watcher because it was the only material thing I could think of to do, and donated 1k to Kerry's campaign, dooming myself to political direct mail lists for all eternity.

(I regret that I had but one address to give.)

Watching the returns come in from that Floridian hotel room, alone, with no bars open that I could get to, is one of the gloomiest memories I have.

And what I wouldn't give now to have a hapless rascal like W back.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.