Studio Glibly+ Your Authors @NoTotally Shaun Lau. He/him residing on unceded Tongva land. Aug. 16, 2019 5 min read + Your Authors

Okay, so, I'm gonna talk about this. Not from a gossip angle, though; it's honestly not important who this is because this is a long-standing misogyny issue among Asian men, and the way it happens is sort of unique to our community.

You're all probably at least a little bit aware of how your standard white incel operates: to oversimplify it, these are men who aren't getting sex from women that they believe they're entitled to, so they develop a sexual/gender ideology based in that entitlement.

Culturally passive, normative gender and sexual ideologies (eg patriarchy) support the idea that they should own women and be entitled to sex and dominance, so culture-wide there isn't much forcing them to change course on these ideas.

Dominance is about power and control, which is historically asserted through violence. Male incels kill women, as a matter of fact, not opinion, and these murders are cheered by other incels.

When they're not killing, they're harassing and abusing women online and offline. All of this is well documented and, as mentioned, oversimplified. Just laying the groundwork for the specifically Asian discussion here.

Asian incels aren't any different. They come to the ideology largely the same way, many times influenced by motherland culture that has its own flavor of misogyny. Western incel culture supports both western- and Asian-influenced patriarchy.

MRAzn misogyny develops into a more specific branch when diaspora Asian men in the west discover something specific to us: the historical stereotype that we are inherently not attractive.

This is a cultural fact that we might discover coming from the incel perspective: an Asian incel might be searching for more information to confirm the idea that they are being deprived of their birthright dominion over women.

In those cases, it's obviously dangerous; these were incels to begin with, so they were likely already immersed in a violent ideology built on misogynist pretexts.

But the sort of sneakier way to come to this, for Asian diaspora men in the west, is through anti-racism discovery. Ideas about our unattractiveness are propagated by white folks, and the history of anti-miscegenation laws proves how serious white folks can be about enforcement.

What happens then is that Asian men are allowed to paint their essentially men's right activists views (hence the term MRAzns) about an inherent right to dominion over women with the veneer of righteous anti-white supremacy work.

Their tortured, illogical line of thought is that they are not misogynist because they aren't intending to act against women; they are instead fighting a white supremacist view of sexual favorability. It's possible, of course, to actively do both.

This is why the most targeted women, and the most endangered by MRAzns, are Asian women. MRAzns engage in a myopic, race-first (over gender) politic that frames a sexual battlefield as part of an overall war against white supremacy.

This context allows- forces, in MRAzn minds- Asian women to be seen as "race traitors" when their partners are white men. The thinking, which, again, only makes sense through the lens of men's rightful dominion over women, is that these partnerships are a form of white supremacy.

Asian women on here in partnerships with white men endure constant, violent harassment with this "race traitor" idea as a justification, with the abuse sometimes making it into the headlines of major online publications, which you may have seen in the past year or so.

Asian women in online spaces that purport to be safe for the expression of an Asian diaspora politic are also routinely harassed if they show sympathy for Asian women who are assaulted, and sometimes killed, by their white domestic partners.

This may seem like deep, niche community activity from the outside, but Asian spaces are rife with it, to the point where online Asian diaspora spaces that don't allow Asian men are a routine necessity.

Spaces that are marked as generally "Asian" are more likely to be MRAzn or MRAzn-friendly spaces than not. It wouldn't be unfair to say MRAzn ideology is becoming or has become the default, in the same way that misogyny overall is so often a default in online spaces.

Now, with all of that context, let's go all the way back to the beginning, to what may seem like the harmless expression of Asian men online of breaking the bonds of our supposed unsexiness.

Given that all of the above is true, and that Asian men are so often and increasingly being turned to MRAzn ideology from the seemingly benign starting point of celebrating and owning our physical appearances, we have a responsibility as Asian men in this area.

Part of that responsibility, at an absolute bare minimum, is to acknowledge that the conversation about our attractiveness has a direct impact on the level of violent misogyny in our own community.

That means that we can't, as Asian men, engage in a brand that centers validation of our attractiveness without simultaneously being very clear about the existence and effects of the misogyny that uses our self-affirmation as a shield.

This is non-negotiable: if you're an Asian man asserting your attractiveness without pairing these declarations with an awareness of and positioning against MRAzns, you're actively allowing this misogyny to flourish.

Again, this is a bare minimum, in my opinion. Asian women have done lots of writing about this online, at great risk of abuse, and their thoughts are more complete and informed than mine could ever be.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and this discussion before linking any of them here, because threads like this often become magnets for MRAzns to ply their trade, and I don't want to make anyone an easy target.

In the meantime, if you're an Asian man learning about this for the first time and would like to see some of these resources, DM me. I'll vet requests and either get back to you or not.

Adding Jenn's thread, with permission. She makes a link more directly with Asian American feminism, and there are very few people who can rival her experience advocating in that area.

You can access Jenn's deep history on these issues by following her, @reappropriate, and reading her website (which is essential reading for all Asian Americans, in my opinion), at  http://reappropriate.com .

I would also highly encourage you to join me in becoming a patron of Reappropriate via Patreon, which you can do here:  https://www.patreon.com/reappropriate 

You can follow @NoTotally.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader