Leo Polovets @lpolovets General Partner @SusaVentures (seed investor in @RobinhoodApp & @Flexport). Before: @Caltech → 2nd non-founding engineer @LinkedIn → @Google → @Factual. Aug. 19, 2019 1 min read

1/ This weekend, there was a good discussion about founder/VC relationships. Several great investors discussed the value of getting to know founders while many founders wondered if building relationships was a waste of time.

To help, here's data from the @SusaVentures family..

2/ In the last ~7 years we've made 93 investments. Of those:
- 68 (73%) were founders we had just met
- 10 (11%) were founders we had known for 1-12 mo
- 6 (6%) were founders we had known for 2-4 years
- 9 (10%) were founders we had known for 5+ years

3/ While this is a sample size of one fund, my takeaway is that building relationships is valuable. Specifically, my partners & I had known the founders of 11% of co's for 1-12 mo. Given how few people we know relative to all of the founders in the world, this is a huge fraction.

4/ I.e. if we know 1% of all founders who fundraise (likely a huge, huge overestimate), but 11% of our investments are in founders whom we've known for 1-12 mo, that means getting to know someone over a short time can increase the chances of investment by >10x.

5/ And relationship building doesn't need to consume tons of time. Try to meet 15-20 investors over 3 mo, then pick the 3 or 5 that you really like & catch up with each of them once a quarter. That's a commitment of maybe 40 hours/year. Low downside, high upside time investment.

6/ Here's the original discussion with great commentary from @semil, @fredwilson, @infoarbitrage, @Markgher and many others:

6b/ And a good follow-up thread:

You can follow @lpolovets.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.