David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Aug. 19, 2019 1 min read

1. Obama had a plan to reduce CO2 emissions from power plants: the Clean Power Plan. In June, Trump's EPA announced its replacement: the Affordable Clean Energy (ACE) plan.

2. Last week, a coalition of 29 states & cities filed suit over it. And yesterday, new analysis of ACE was released by @rff, showing that even the pathetic emission reductions projected by the admin are likely overstated. In fact ACE is likely to *increase* emissions ...

3. ... of both CO2 & local pollutants like SO2 & NOx in almost 20 states. Yes, the pollution rule is likely to increase pollution. Specifically, it's likely to help coal plants run longer & thus pollute more. Pretty special.

4. Anyway, on the occasion of RFF's analysis, I have rewritten/updated my explainer on ACE, which traces its history, legal context, effects, & coming legal battles. Give it a read:  https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/8/19/20812243/trump-epa-climate-plan-ace-cpp-6-things 

5. And since most of you probably won't read that 4K word explainer, let me just re-emphasize one point:

The Trump administration is implementing a pollution rule that will *increase pollution & health impacts relative to just doing nothing*. Hard to believe, but true. </fin>

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.