Stephen Wolf @PoliticsWolf @DKElections staff writer covering voting rights, gerrymandering, maps, & poli sci. Get the Voting Rights Roundup weekly newsletter dkel.ec/votingr Aug. 23, 2019 1 min read

I've recently been exploring alternative nonpartisan New York congressional maps, & I'm curious what folks think of this NYC. #NY07 becomes more compact & majority-Latino. #NY10 becomes just 42%-31% white-Asian with many whites being Rs. #NY14 becomes 47%-28% white-Latino, though

#NY05, #NY08, & #NY09 all remain predominantly black districts, & #NY13 & #NY14 remain predominantly Latino with a large black minority. #NY06 becomes a 39-36 Asian plurality instead of a 40-37 white plurality. #NY16 also goes from a 42-30 white plurality to just 37-32 white

This is still a rough draft, but this #NY10 voted 62-37 Obama in 2008 & is safely Dem. I tried to combine Dem-leaning Asian/Latino voters with white Republicans/Hasidic Jewish voters instead of liberal whites so that a white liberal wouldn't be favored over an Asian-backed Dem

What do folks think of these New York nonpartisan congressional map alternatives?#NY13 becomes a district where black voters could likely elect their chosen candidates in exchange for making #NY14/#NY15 heavily Latino. The second map turns #NY10 into an Asian-opportunity district

cc:@BenJ_Rosenblatt @BobbyBigWheel @NickTagliaferro

All of my maps are based off the 2010 census for this decade unless noted, not 2020 population projections. NY is expected to lose 1-2 congressional seats in reapportionment, & upstate will likely lose a couple state Senate seats without the GOP gerrymander's malapportionment

You can follow @PoliticsWolf.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.