Christiaan Triebert @trbrtc Visual Investigations @nytimes. Previously roaming the world for @bellingcat. Monitoring things, mostly niche. Retired hitchhiker. @quiztime. Usual caveats. Aug. 23, 2019 1 min read

Wow. I’m properly sick in the United States for the first time since I moved here. To even say “Hello!” to a doctor I need to pay $50. And I have healthcare.

For a citizen of the Netherlands, this just feels weird af.

For the record: I feel privileged and honored to work and live in the US. I’m aware that it comes with copay. I obviously accept that. My first direct experience just triggered a tweet of the surprise many Europeans appear to have when learning about it.

Now that my notifications are filled with “go home”, “fuck outta here”, et cetera.. I'd like to highlight that I expressed surprise — I know too little to criticise it. I really like living in the US; I'm grateful I can be here. (Even with copay.) 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 👇

Oh.. be aware that I may be tweeting about health insurance again in a month.

You can follow @trbrtc.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.