1. One day after G7 leaders backed HK's autonomy, CE Carrie Lam is now planning to impose a "#MartialLaw" to #HongKong. HK's commerce minister even claimed that such martial law will have no effect on this Asia Financial Hub & should be accepted by the international community.
2. This Emergency Regulations Ordinance (ERO) HKGov planning to use, would allow HKGov to do whatever it wants. It is a de facto Martial Law, with no PLA marching on the streets, but would bring an equivalent threat of violence to the city.
3. According to ERO, Lam can "make any regulations whatsoever which (s)he may consider desirable in the public interest" without check and balance from the legislature, include declaring curfew. #HumanRights and freedom of expression are under threat.
4. Censorship is one thing. The law enables HKGov to take "control and suppression of publications, photographs, communications and means of communication". Social platforms like Telegram might be cut off under public speculations.
5. #PressFreedom will no longer exist, as ERO gives HKGov the power to censor all news reports, including those written by foreign journalists in Hong Kong, in the name of maintaining public order.
6. Besides, the law can authorise HK police to arbitrarily enter and search private premises, including churches. Private property rights can be hardly protected under such an arbitrary, politically driven intervention by the Govt.
7. The law will definitely kill the city, as it might be more detrimental than Chinese troops marching into the city. The world has anticipated the use of PLA in Hong Kong, but has never imagined #PressFreedom & Property rights will one day vanish into thin air.
9. Offenders of this “martial law” can be entitled to life imprisonment. Doubtless that the HKGov is not solving the conflict, but putting HK's next generation to prison.
10. Regarding the hard-line policy of President Xi and Carrie Lam, I urge world leaders and international media to send a clear message: impose "#MartialLaw" is never a solution for HK. This political crisis must solve by political reform. Free-election is the only way out.
You can follow @joshuawongcf.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.