Garry() @garrytan Managing Partner, @Initialized. Earliest investor in @coinbase @instacart @flexport & 100+ more—$36B in startup market cap so far. Forbes Midas List 2019 #21 🚀 Aug. 27, 2019 1 min read

Some people would argue venture investing is like alchemy, and value investing is like gold mining.

One is ethereal magic, and another is as real as could be.

Yet startups are businesses like any other.

The mechanics of finding opportunities are the same: moving dirt, rock, rubble to find gold.

The difference is that we are mining in places where they didn’t think to mine— new islands and continents recently discovered.

We’re also trying to find and fund them when it’s one or two people with a shovel in a field, and the first nugget hasn’t been dug out of the ground yet.

It looks like alchemy, but it’s still gold mining. That’s why value and venture investing aren’t that different after all.

A few years ago my @initialized partners and I went to visit the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting and these are a few thoughts from that trip. —  https://medium.com/initialized-capital/venture-and-value-investing-a2cd3c4f8886 

You can follow @garrytan.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.