Nikita S ✈️ SF Nov 10-14 @singareddynm investor @rre ventures (seed, A, B) 👩🏾‍💻 keeping tech weird, serial experimenter 🤖 ex @oscarhealth @thegovlab stats @columbia Aug. 28, 2019 1 min read

At some point, I hope we have a conversation about pseudo intellectualism in tech and the elevation of successful investors / founders as the second coming of philosopher-kings.

None of these folks are Isaiah Berlin or Hegel or Chomsky or Hannah Arendt.

It's a hubris problem. It's advice/opinions masquerading as axiomatic principles.

Philosophy is the method of reasoning to get to *Truth.* It’s supposed to be intellectually rigorous (I think of reading philosophy as Crossfit for the brain; it sucks sometimes but worth it).

It's dangerous and lazy to take this stuff as your guiding principles/philosophical bedrock. They don't stand any test of falsifiability.

Just because their company IPOd or they invested in a few unicorns doesn’t mean they know anything about how you should live and treat others

Also fuck, actual philosophers were responding to a world reckoning with nascent democracy and feminism and colonialism and bioethics and NAZIS.

But yes, tell me more about why I should live my life the way you built your startup..?

Look, this is obviously kind of a joke and I don't want anyone to think I'm telling them to do this or that. It's always good to question things and be critical.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

"if i see another blog post on how tech bros talk about how mind blowing is rene girard's memetic desire im gonna call the police" - @fkpxls

1000% and perfect example of what I'm talking about.

You can follow @singareddynm.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.