Nikita S @singareddynm investor @rre ventures (seed, A, B) 👩🏾‍💻 interviewing women in vc @ negotiatingtheterms.com/ 🤖 formerly data/ops @oscarhealth, @thingtesting 🇦🇺 aussie-born Aug. 28, 2019 1 min read

At some point, I hope we have a conversation about pseudo intellectualism in tech and the elevation of successful investors / founders as the second coming of philosopher-kings.

None of these folks are Isaiah Berlin or Hegel or Chomsky or Hannah Arendt.

It's a hubris problem. It's advice/opinions masquerading as axiomatic principles.

Philosophy is the method of reasoning to get to *Truth.* It’s supposed to be intellectually rigorous (I think of reading philosophy as Crossfit for the brain; it sucks sometimes but worth it).

It's dangerous and lazy to take this stuff as your guiding principles/philosophical bedrock. They don't stand any test of falsifiability.

Just because their company IPOd or they invested in a few unicorns doesn’t mean they know anything about how you should live and treat others

Also fuck, actual philosophers were responding to a world reckoning with nascent democracy and feminism and colonialism and bioethics and NAZIS.

But yes, tell me more about why I should live my life the way you built your startup..?

Look, this is obviously kind of a joke and I don't want anyone to think I'm telling them to do this or that. It's always good to question things and be critical.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

"if i see another blog post on how tech bros talk about how mind blowing is rene girard's memetic desire im gonna call the police" - @fkpxls

1000% and perfect example of what I'm talking about.

You can follow @singareddynm.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.