Sam Dylan Finch 🍓 @samdylanfinch Mental health & chronic conditions @Healthline. 🌱 Very earnest, very gay nerd. 🌈♿ Sep. 03, 2019 1 min read

"Okay, we get it, you don't have your meds... why don't you just go to a doctor?"

Okay. 🧵🤠

A couple months ago I switched insurance providers to get access to better care. I tried getting enough medication to tide me over, but Adderall, a "controlled substance," could only be prescribed for 30 days at a time — unlike the 90 days I got for everything else.

In that first month, I had to take time off of work just to make countless phone calls to find a psychiatrist who took my insurance AND was accepting new patients.

Some places took weeks to get back to me, just to tell me they didn't have capacity.

Obviously I ran out of Adderall. When I finally secured a psychiatrist, I had to wait... four weeks... for that first appointment. Without my medication. I took the soonest available appointment.

I finally got the appointment, got the prescriptions, took them to the pharmacy.

My insurer refused to fill the Adderall, citing a need for "prior authorization" from my doctor.

The doctor who literally wrote and signed the scripts that I gave to the pharmacy.

Mind you, I've been on Adderall for a long time for my ADHD. But the new insurer needs my doctor to apparently confirm that she wasn't under hypnosis when she prescribed it or something? That she wasn't asleep? I dunno.

Executive function is what allows you to do tasks with multiple steps (otherwise known as "being an adult"), it impacts your short-term memory, it impacts your ability to retain information when you hear it, it sustains attention. ADHD is a neurological disorder that impacts it.

You can follow @samdylanfinch.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.