Sloth Mom @CaseyExplosion Internet sloth, and gigantic nerd. Profile pic by @Skutchdraws and banner by @LiquidAzalea. She/her. Streaming Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sun at: twitch.tv/caseyexplosion Sep. 04, 2019 1 min read

PSA. Binary identified trans woman who transitioned nearly a decade ago here to tell you that NB folks didn't bring down more scrutiny on trans folks, the religious right did once they realized they were losing on marriage equality turned their focus entirely to trans people. 💜

To claim otherwise is not only ahistoric, it puts the blame on the trans community for our own oppression, and erases nonbinary trans people from the transgender movement. Don't do the work of anti-LGBT bigots by repeating the lie that we've simply "pushed too hard" okay?

Because I've been out as trans for nearly a 3rd of my life now, and I felt that shift happening in real time. I've witnessed the talking points from conservative hatemongers shift from doomsaying about marriage equality, to doomsaying about bathrooms and gender recognition.

You can see exactly where most of this began, with the referendum on the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance in 2015. They leveraged transgender people as a treat, and created a wedge that successfully defeated the antidiscrimination ordinance. That's the model they've used since.

The trans community is under intense scrutiny right now because of the likes of the Heritage Foundation, the Family Research Council, and the kinds of monied anti-LGBT lobby groups that were behind Prop 8 in California, have all turned their attention to us.

They're to blame.

Nonbinary trans people aren't making it harder for us, but anti-LGBT entities with funding from conservative billionaires sure are. Point the finger where it counts, and stop punching down.

You can follow @CaseyExplosion.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.