Daniel Sinclair @_DanielSinclair Building for young people. Not reading @danielsunread. Lurking behind likes and thinking about social media, communication, & China. Sep. 05, 2019 1 min read

I don't understand Twitter Events. They're amplified by the platform, but seemingly not at all curated like Moments. The highest-ranking 'amplified' tweet for Carrie Lam's latest speech is from Chinese state media.  https://twitter.com/i/events/1169436204636336128 

In fact, so many of the tweets that are ranking on this Events carousel are Chinese state media properties. They dominate the feed.

Does pivot to video just mean pivot to state-run video? These are coordinated Periscopes, both started at the exact same time from different camera angles & properties. They're probably riding Periscope w/ the intention of getting this very boost from the platform. Who needs ads?

Many of the other voices in this Events feed, at the time I archived it, are either continuing the state-fueled 'rioter' narrative, or in the opposition, describing this withdraw as simply fake. These aren't popular voices of the movement, nor should they be ranking in this feed.

The three most trustworthy voices here were tweets from
@billbirtles, @EricCheungwc, and @JMSCHKU, but again, they're drowned out by state media and voices spreading conspiracies and known disinformation narratives.

Here's a stitched together image of the entire scrollable experience of this Twitter Event pertaining to Carrie Lam's speech. This uses the exact same interface as Moments — but it appears to have no editorial curation. A frustrating lack of progress.  https://imgur.com/a/2TkkOyp 

You can follow @_DanielSinclair.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.