My Favorite Reading Quotes
1. “The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.” — Descartes
2. “If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.” — Haruki Murakami
3. "The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought about that which everybody sees."
— Arthur Schopenhauer
4. “You could try to pound your head against the wall and think of original ideas or you can cheat by reading them in books." - @patrickc
5. “Reading books is the real-life version of collecting mushrooms in Super Mario.” — Some random tweet I once read
6. "It's not information overload. It's filter failure." - Clay Shirky
7. "You can try to improve how much you learn from each book, but probably the greatest gains from selecting the right set of books to read. Those books are likely older than the ones that are really popular today."
8. "The originality of an idea depends on the obscurity of sources." — John Hegarty
9. “If we are uneducated we shall not know how very old are all new ideas.” – G. K. Chesterton
10. “Two ways to be successful in life: do something worth writing about or write something worth reading.” -Ben Franklin
11. “The true test of all books is the influence they have upon the lives and conduct of their readers.” -Charles Helman Lea
"A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." – Carl Sagan
13. “If I read a book that cost me $20 and I get one good idea, I’ve gotten one of the greatest bargains of all time.” — Tom Peters
14. "The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." — Mark Twain
15. “Books are the carriers of civilization.
Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill.”
— Barbara Tuchman
16. “You will be the same person in five years as you are today, except for the people you meet and the books you read.”
— John Wooden
17. “Read better writers than you are.
In other words, read great fiction. Cultivate your ear.
Before I go to bed, I read a novel every night. That’s because you do a lot of work in your sleep, and I want my brain to be in a rhythm of good prose."
— Michael Pollan
18. “The trick is to be bored with a specific book, rather than the act of reading.”
— Nassim Taleb (@nntaleb)
19. "Books are like love, simultaneously overrated and underrated." — @Kpaxs
20. "I got a lot of my education from history. Rather than reading a lot more about the contemporaries I would go back & read about Ford, Rockefeller, Edison, Morgan." — @pmarca
22. "When people speak in a very elaborate and sophisticated way, they either want to tell a lie, or to admire themselves. You should not believe such people. Good speech is always clear, clever, and understood by all."
— Leo Tolstoy
You can follow @david_perell.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.