Sam Dylan Finch 🍓 @samdylanfinch Blogger, gay nerd, friend. 🌈 Editor, Mental Health & Chronic Conditions @healthline. ♿️ Astrology @Greatist. ✨ OCD/ADHD & eating disorder recovery. 🌿 He/him. Sep. 08, 2019 1 min read

I'm developing a reputation at work as having the best writers. And this is absolutely true! They are incredibly talented.

But also... I'd like to point out that every single one of my writers is disabled and almost all, multiply marginalized. And many of them, relatively new.

I mention this because I know for a fact that there are editors in this industry who wouldn't look twice at some of these folks. Who can't imagine the immense value they bring to the craft and to the publishing space.

Two words: Your loss.

I can't express the immense amount of pride I feel having so many talented folks rightfully being recognized for what they bring to the table.

And it's not lost on me that this recognition has been long overdue, and part of a larger struggle.

Being a disabled writer myself, I spent a long time being fearful of having any ambition, because I didn't think "people like me" occupied these spaces. I didn't have role models, nor the ability to imagine someone "like me" in any kind of leadership role.

But I found community, and mentors, and tbh, a really productive rage.

The ambition finally kicked in when I realized that I could create the opportunities that I didn't have. And that's exactly what I'm invested in doing.

I can't say for sure what the future holds (in part, as not to jinx it), but I can tell you this: We're just getting started.

I can't wait to share more with you in the months to come.

I got in through the window, and now I'm kicking open doors.

Let's do this.

You can follow @samdylanfinch.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.