Steve Bullock @GuitarMoog Immigrant, Musician, Sound Engineer, SNP, ex-negotiator for UK in EU, wirer of pedalboards, stringer of guitars. Supporter of @FinalSayForAll. @Rally4OurRights Sep. 11, 2019 1 min read

Denied a vote, hung out to dry in negotiations, rights we rely on removed without our consent, and now no NHS access for most when visiting our families.

The UK Govt’s campaign against its own citizens, the @BritishInEurope, continues. #BrexitIsPersonal
 https://www.bbc.com/news/49592440 

Already, any UK Citizen returning from the EU27 (perhaps because the end of FoM has ruined their livelihoods) will have to wait 3 months, AND PROVE that they’ve “cut ties” with their former home and have family or property ties in the UK to claim benefits.
 https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/british-and-irish-citizens-claiming-benefits/ 

I was sent to Belgium by the UK Govt. I stayed here because my wife got permanent a job in an insitution the UK is a member and shareholder of.

Until 2016 it was UK Government policy to get UK nationals into the EU institutions.

I because self-employed, as is my Treaty right.

We’ve done nothing wrong. On the contrary, we’ve followed UK government policy, promoted UK interests, and exercised our rights correctly and according to law.

Yet we, and the other 1.3 million @BritishInEurope are treated as if we have somehow betrayed the glorious motherland; as if living in another country makes us traitors, suspect, or, frankly, non-people as far as our own Government is concerned.

France has MPs specifically to represent its citizens residing outside France.

Can you imagine the reaction if a US citizen returning home was asked to prove they had “cut ties” to be entitled to the same rights as other citizens? To prove they were American “enough”?

Art10 of the Belgian Constitution says “Belgians are equal before the law”, and Art11 says “Enjoyment of the rights and Freedoms recognised for Belgians myst be provided without discrimination.”

We UK Citizens in the EU though, are apparently not British enough for our own Govt.

You can follow @GuitarMoog.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.