Guillaume Chaslot @gchaslot AI for good / Mozilla Fellow / algotransparency.org/ / Advisor at Center for Humane Technology / Ex-Google Sep. 12, 2019 1 min read

THREAD

@Uber is right not to consider drivers as part of their core business. Their core business is extorsion.

Example: the last time I used Uber, the wait was 10 minutes. 5 minutes later the wait climbed to 18 minutes, the driver moving away to complete a ride. I canceled it. Uber made pay a 6$ fine because the driver was « on his way » (sic)

Uber made 6$, no driving required

Uber’s core business is to make you feel that you can get a ride in a reasonable time for a reasonable price. In practice, they often either increase the waiting time, put a price surge, or both.

Note that many times they don’t even share the surge with the driver.

I’ve seen an example on Twitter where Uber took close to 90% of the total price of the course.

I rode with a Lyft driver who had noticed that the price Uber gave a customer was very different from the price they gave him. He complained. Uber banned him for life.

#deleteUber

You can follow @gchaslot.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.