Daniel Sinclair @_DanielSinclair Building for young people. Not reading @danielsunread. Lurking behind likes and thinking about social media, communication, & China. Sep. 12, 2019 1 min read

Imaging is a wild field so far out of my depth, but I'm enjoying watching this all play out. The trajectory of connectivity has been one of transistors & FCC licensing — of tweaking century-old radios. What we are embarking on in imaging feels like true scientific advancement.

The tinfoil hat crowd & Steve Bannon (not sure they're separate) are losing their minds about 5G. Real concerns about mm waves skewing weather forecasting too. But the real craziness is happening in imaging. LIDAR protects us from the surveillance state 😅  https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/01/man-says-ces-lidars-laser-was-so-powerful-it-wrecked-his-1998-camera/ 

Infrared also feels fairly nascent and not well understood in consumer. Would be interesitng if this were studied — may be validity to it. We can't see the iPhone's Flood Illuminator, but it's blasting a lot of energy into our retinas. Hope that isn't bad?

Standard LIDAR wavelengths are known to actually be harmful to the eyes, and its regulated to limit power to prevent that. Very interesting & quite new solid-state sensors are now taking a different approach to increase power at other wavelengths.

Photoacoustic Imaging seems like a fairly close field to reaching prominence too. Much higher resolution than ultrasound, and without the helium, rare earth metals, and x-rays of current medical imaging.  https://youtu.be/i_OUzqpsVP4 

Based on Apple's long trek of patents, their Health engineering build-up, and the ECG that opened the FDA door: it seems like their pretty close to in situ blood spectroscopy. Great for continuous glucose monitoring.

The lasers in the Apple Watch, and the industry more broadly, are not without problems. Apple has done better, but is not perfect. Heart-rate lasers are often not calibrated for melanin, not because of any impossibility, but because of neglect.

While Neuralink is working on getting direct metal access to neurons in your brain, there are other alternatives gaining momentum too. I wrote about Facebook's Building 8 fNIRS imaging work here:

You can follow @_DanielSinclair.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.