Jennifer Gunter @DrJenGunter OB/GYN, appropriately confident, lasso of truth, Canadian Spice, I speak for no one but me. The Vagina Bible (bestseller! OMG). Jensplaining, NYT contributor. Sep. 15, 2019 2 min read

$600 for my son who lived about 3 minutes. He received no medical care. At all. As he died almost immediately he didn’t get enrolled in my insurance plan, so I got the bill. From the hospital where I was a doctor.

It was from my own department too. Ha! You asked for absurd.

When I got home this $600 bill came for Aidan. It was addressed to “Parent of Aidan XXX”...and for a second I thought his death was a dream and I got very hopeful he was alive and then confused.

And then very sad.

And then I called the billing department and literally had to argue with them about my son being dead and they didn’t believe me that I let him die without medical care. I am literally explaining how some babies are born to die. They say, “Too bad.”

So I wrote a very threatening e-mail to the hospital CEO and told him I would call the newspaper (this was pre Twitter) and tell everyone how my own hospital tried to bill me for care my dead baby never received.
And that is how I became a patient advocate.

Oh hey @BernieSanders here’s another good one!
I was sent to collections for an x-ray one of my son’s had that never happened! The hospital billed my insurance twice for the same chest x-ray. My insurance rightly paid one and refused to pay for the 2nd one.

So as my insurance rightly declined to pay for the 2nd x-ray that never happened after months of arguing I was sent to collections. I sent a letter to the CEO (called and said I was a new doc on staff and needed his fax) explaining how I would take them to court for fraud

And the bill was pulled from collections.
I was send to collections for an x-ray that never happened. How fucked up is that?

I’d forgotten about those few seconds that felt like an eternity when I saw the letter addressed to “Parents of Aidan...”
I was really confused. I had sepsis and was just home maybe 3 days. My other two were in the NICU. I really thought for a moment he was alive.
Sigh.

And the most absurd thing is it was the low amount of $600 that jogged my brain. No NICU bill could ever be for $600.

You can follow @DrJenGunter.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.