Daniel Sinclair @_DanielSinclair Building for young people. Not reading @danielsunread. Lurking behind likes and thinking about social media, communication, & China. Sep. 15, 2019 1 min read

“Hey Siri, define algorithmic manipulation” 🙃

You know, I’m having a hard time believing ’Binance’ is a Trending search throughout the Midwest. I’m pretty sure this is a Chinese marketing botnet proxying through the U.S.

Yeehaw America likes nothing more in September than playing a Singaporean lottery

I’d bet at least some of these Search oddities are related to the rise of mobile click-farms; the clustering around those states is odd. We still don’t see a lot of counteraction against this; companies like Uber just left clickfarm markets like China.  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d3naek/how-to-make-a-phone-farm 

Wouldn’t be surprised if these are search manipulation bids from Asia, targeting manipulation across Asia itself, but one of the down-stream bid markets is mistranslating them and the American click-farms who recently have been deplatformed are accepting those bids.

You can follow @_DanielSinclair.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.