Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Sep. 19, 2019 1 min read

When people asked me in the early 1990s for a primer on radio and "telephone networks" I would recommend this book by Calhoun, which is still quite expensive. I'm not sure what book I would recommend today. The world has changed a lot since then, but the laws of physics have not.

Calhoon starts with basics (e.g., a radio wave can be visualized as a sine wave; distance a wave travels to complete a cycle is the wavelength of the signal). What was interesting was translating that into the economics of deploying wireless to achieve optimal "capacity density".

Looking at the 1992 edition of Calhoun's book tonight reminds me of how even the most technically astute wireless experts didn't predict very well how and by how much capacity would be increased by approaches like spatial multiplexing. The outcome for CDMA surprised many people.

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.