Rebecca J. Kavanagh @DrRJKavanagh @theappeal Media Relations Director, NYC Public Defender, Writer, @nyulaw, @sydneylawschool, @sydney_uni. Sydney ✈️ NYC. Views my own. Sep. 20, 2019 1 min read

Last night in Manhattan arraignments, an elderly man was sentenced to 5 days jail on Rikers Island.

His crime? Attempting to steal a pack of batteries from Home Depot.

Meanwhile Felicity Huffman will serve 2 weeks on felony fraud and conspiracy charges, because, well, justice.

Let me be clear here: I don't think either person should be sentenced to any jail or prison time.

A longer prison term for Ms. Huffman ultimately means longer jail sentences for poor Black and Brown people charged with attempting to steal batteries from Home Depot.

93% of the people arraigned in Manhattan criminal court are of color. A similar percentage are indigent. Of the people I represent, 87% cannot afford cash bail of $500.

Racial disparities in sentencing are one part of a criminal legal system designed to be racist. Demands for punitive sentences will always function to oppress poor Black and Brown people.

You can follow @DrRJKavanagh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.