Garry() @garrytan Managing Partner, @Initialized. Earliest investor in @coinbase @instacart @flexport & 100+ more—$36B in startup market cap so far. Forbes Midas List 2019 #21 🚀 Sep. 22, 2019 1 min read

About 50 reviews through 300 YC applications submitted for comment.

Surprising how unaware people are of competition. Yes, you don't die by competition, but when you make something new, you should be hyper-aware of what Google might tell people to use instead of you.

2nd most common mistake: Describing what a startup does, but failing to communicate why it’s a great product/service.

New things must massively outperform incumbents just to have a chance at escaping obscurity.

Step 1 - What is it?
Step 2 - Is it great?

3rd most common mistake: Not highlighting the product, design, and what’s built

The majority of YC apps are still basically just an idea and a bunch of words. If you have a demo, wireframes, mockups, a working site, DEFINITELY link it and drive people to it.

Makes a big diff

Check my YouTube channel for more about how to pitch, how to start a startup, and to meet some of the best startup founders I've ever met.

Subscribe here —  https://www.youtube.com/garrytan 

(I just posted an in-depth interview with the creator of @InsightFellows)

You can follow @garrytan.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.