Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Sep. 23, 2019 1 min read

If Joe diGenova escapes jailtime at the end of all this I will be mightily impressed by his wile. First he aids rogue FBI agents in leaking to the media a month before the 2016 election, then he begins secretly advising Trump, now he's advising Ukrainians.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-23/trump-friendly-lawyers-join-legal-team-of-ukraine-s-firtash 

1/ Trump's band of rogues is actually fairly small; its small "attorney" contingent (quotes intentional) includes diGenova, Giuliani, Cohen, Garten, and Weisselberg, as well as occasional Trump-prompted unethical conduct by otherwise above-board legal counsel like John Dowd.

2/ There's a good reason the same lawyers appear again and again: it's because Trump's entire political career is an ongoing crime spree, and any self-respecting attorney would want absolutely nothing to do with it. So Trump has to keep going back to the same poisoned legal well.

3/ I hesitate to add an otherwise obvious name to Trump's gallery of legal rogues—Jay Sekulow—as it offends me, as a lawyer, to consider him part of the profession. I consider him to be someone who plays a lawyer on TV (when he's not tampering with federal witnesses, like Cohen).

4/ But my point is this: when you see certain names (like diGenova, like Giuliani, like—frankly—Barr) associated with a Trump-related event, you can be sure that an *enormous* amount of investigative heat and light should be directed to whatever transaction they're involved with.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.