Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Sep. 29, 2019 1 min read

I can't say how happy this article makes me. Years ago I asked a friend, "If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding *into*? If the laws of physics apply here, isn't it possible—or even definitionally the case—that they don't apply in any space the universe is not (yet)?"

(The thinking being that, if the laws of physics are how we identify the universe as the "universe," if our universe were to be expanding into a space where the laws of physics *also* apply, how would that space be in any sense distinguishable from the universe then entering it?)

(A further question being, if the Big Bang created our universe and is the reason our universe is still expanding, why would it not also be the case that a Big Bang created the universe "next" to ours and that that universe is also expanding... into ours? I've so many questions.)

(I'll be candid and say one of the reasons the multiverse idea has been interesting to me over the last 3+ years is that if there's such a thing I have to think we're in one of the sh*tty versions of reality, which makes me pissed at how many billions of realities escaped Trump)

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.