Daniel Sinclair @_DanielSinclair Building for young people. Not reading @danielsunread. Lurking behind likes and thinking about social media, communication, & China. Oct. 01, 2019 1 min read

The framing is unnecessarily provocative, and I don't really understand if this is fighting cancel culture & deplatforming or academia's slowdown, but I am excited to see what comes of it. FF's Anatomy of Next uniquely captures overlooked visions & stories

The lineup kind of just sounds like the already-accepted narratives of tech Twitter & Silicon Valley culture. The framing, though, does a disservice by projecting the delusional tirades of Gab right next to incredible scientific prowess & conviction.  https://medium.com/@foundersfund/hereticon-2bb9b23928d5 

I attended a talk from a prominent seasteader once. There is something so enthralling about that vision, of establishing the frontiers, not with war, but with belief — catalyzing conviction to break free & establish a new system. Then their ICO slide punched me in the face.

Is the conference circuit, even those projecting themselves as the contrarian to the establishment, for those with a vision that will truly break free from the system? Or are those conferences just a grifter field day? Stories are so powerful, and I hope this one proves me wrong.

You can follow @_DanielSinclair.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.