In the current context, which YouTube channel is particularly promoted by YouTube's Artificial Intelligence?
A Ukrainian channel that copy-pastes Fox News videos
Read that again, but slowly. 1/
That channel did >2M views in the last few days. It was an increase of 3,080.6% month-to-month.
It's now called "BREAKING NEWS"
It was called "Florans UA" before the 30th of September.
Note that the channel describes itself as Ukrainian, but we can't be certain it's Ukrainian. In any case, it's performing exceptionally well.
There are many weird things about this channel:
- some of its video is 1 second long and have hundreds of thousands of views
- clicking on the channel page tells us the channel does not exists
- it has no original content
Check it out:
Here is another example of the 1 second video:
So what's up with this channel @youtube?
What we know for sure:
- it copy-pastes Fox News
- it makes 1s videos with many views (!)
- the algorithm loved it yesterday, recommending it from more than 193 channels (!)
- the views on this channel increased 3,080.6% in a month
Update: the inauthentic political channel changed it location from Ukraine 🇺🇦 to USA 🇺🇸, reached around 5 million views in 5 days (thanks to tens of millions of up-next recommendations), and finally got shut down by YouTube.
You can follow @gchaslot.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.