Yashar Ali 🐘 @yashar New York Magazine/HuffPost Contributor Email: [email protected] Direct Messages Open Text/Call/Signal/Confide/WhatsApp: 310-795-2497. Agents: UTA Oct. 04, 2019 1 min read

1. Diahann Carroll, the first black woman in history to star in her own TV series, has died at 84.

We overuse the word legend these days, but calling Diahann Carroll a legend feels like an understatement.

2. Diahann Carroll's history making role was on the 1968 TV series "Julia"

But she also made history, with respect to the types of roles black women were cast in, when she played Dominique Deveraux on Aaron Spelling's Dynasty

"I wanted to be the first black bitch on television"

3. In 1962, Diahann Carroll made history as the first black woman to win a Tony award for lead actress in a musical.

4. Audra McDonald, who has made history herself by winning six Tony awards, more than any other actor in history, just told me this regarding Diahann Carroll’s passing:

“Diahann Carroll walked, ran, and flew so that I could soar behind her.”

@AudraEqualityMc

You can follow @yashar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.