A.R. Moxon (Julius Goat) @JuliusGoat Author of THE REVISIONARIES, coming 12/3/19 Pre-order: static.mhpbooks.com/the-revisionaries/ Newsletter: tinyletter.com/ARMoxon He/him Repped by @samroebuck Oct. 08, 2019 2 min read

Love: having polite well-mannered discussions around opposing views like "should we set up a state torture program?" and "should we lie the country into a decades-long war?"

Hate: being part of the problem

Whenever anybody tells you you are part of the problem, look at what it is you've done or said that's inspired that comment, then work backward to discover what "the problem" must be.

A fascinating exercise.

To me, "the problem" is you can kill a million people and 10 years later sit next to the friendly lady who has the talk show and all is well.

It might almost give the current president and his associates the idea that you can do whatever you want and there'll be no consequences.

To me "the problem" is that this is a country that is optimized for a wide spectrum of abuse by powerful people, and greased by enablement, and there seemingly exists no mechanism to bring any consequence more damaging than public criticism for even the gravest abuses of power.

To me "the problem" is that there exists a wide range of mechanisms to fight back against any attempt to bring any consequence whatsoever, even criticism.

So, if you're aligned with abuse and enablement, public criticism is a problem. Perhaps *the* problem.

So yes, refusing to accept George W Bush's acceptance in polite society *is* making yourself part of the problem—depending on what you consider to be a problem.

There are people for whom I would like to be a part of the problem.

There isn’t a single hero of history who wasn’t “part of the problem” for some group of people.

Ask yourself: for whom are you going to be part of the problem? And what problem are you going to be a part of?

The only real tool available to bring consequences for engineering war that squanders 1 million lives is public criticism.

When we choose not to utilize it, therefore, we choose to be part of a different problem—the problem of a society optimized for empowered abuse.

You don’t get to choose to not be part of a problem. You just get to choose which problem.

Again and again I've heard it expressed that this is an "age of outrage," which I find telling , given that we all know that outrageous crimes have been committed with impunity.

To frame the problem on the outrage is to announce your alignment.

Outrage might be expected—even hoped for—if you are the victim of such a crime.

Outrage might give you hope.

The lack of it might cause despair.

You don't get to choose whether to be a part of somebody's problem. You just get to choose whose problem.

Words from a past age of outrages.

And words for this one.

You can follow @JuliusGoat.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.