Teri Kanefield @Teri_Kanefield Author, Lawyer (U.C. Berkeley) My threads are here: terikanefield-blog.com/ Bio here: terikanefield.com/about-me George Papadopoulos called me deluded Oct. 08, 2019 2 min read

(Thread) Expect more Trump-GOP lawbreaking / Expect Trump to lose.

Trending now on Twitter:

💠 58% of Americans now in favor of impeachment inquiries

💠 Sondland defied Congress

These two things go together.

1/ I agree with
@BillKristol on this 👇

I also trust the 60-65% of Americans who are not part of Trump’s base to see it.

You shouldn’t be shocked by Sondland’s refusal to testify. (From
@TimothyDSnyder
: Outrage comes from shock, and shock is a luxury)

2/ Sondland has no diplomatic experience. Trump appointed him because he donates lots of money, including $1 million to Trump’s inaugural committee.

That tells you everything you need to know.
 https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/08/who-gordon-sondland-trump-ambassador-to-eu-impeachment-witness-key-player-ukraine/3867905002/ 

Trump doesn't hire competent people.
He hires loyal people.

3/ That's what mob bosses do.

In June I warned that we’re in for more Trump lawbreaking before this over⤵️

I also explained why this won't end well for the Trump-GOP.
The demographics are against them, and our institutions are holding out.

4/ The only thing I would change about my June thread is Tweet 3: I would change “The problem isn’t” to “The problem isn’t MERELY”

Otherwise, it's still true now.

Brace yourselves. It's an earthquake (see the thread ⤵️)
But we'll get through it.

end/

5/ Adding this to the thread from @saradannerdukic (screenshot to add 2 tweets)

Demagoguery means appealing to the non-rational side of people, and it always involves whipping people into a frenzy.

Democracy is slow grinding work. Due process is slower.

6/ People lose patience with democracy precisely because it is slow, grinding work.

I you don't believe it, run for local office and try to get something done.

The disadvantage is that the process takes a frustratingly long time.

7/ The advantage is that the institutions and norms that make the process slow also make it hard for someone like Trump to take over. He's also slowed down.

Autocrats like Trump have appeal precisely because people dislike the give and take and grinding work of democracy.

All my threads are also blog posts. This one is here:  https://terikanefield-blog.com/no-surprise-more-trump-team-lawbreaking/ 

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.