Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Oct. 10, 2019 1 min read

I don't know what others mean when they say Trump's terrified. I know what *I* mean, and it's based on, as a PD, seeing some very hard people—some sociopaths—suddenly realize a situation isn't in hand. The resulting terror isn't a cartoonish shaking-in-boots, but a system freeze.

I've noticed that the same people who *hate* me mentioning my years of legal practice are the *first* to forget my background (available via a permanent link in my Twitter bio) and therefore not understand where I'm coming from, or why. And I think it's not a coincidence, either.

None of us "know" Trump, but when I see someone with no experience working *closely* with sociopaths, psychopaths, accused murderers, accused thieves and con men (&c) acting like someone who *does* have that experience is naive, it reminds me why the virtual world is so much ugh.

I try not to comment on this feed about things I have no experience with or haven't researched for a book or don't teach at the college level; my bio gives a lot of detail about my areas of focus. But you won't see me here with super-strong opinions on, say, cooking or carpentry.

Meanwhile, those on Twitter *most* worked up about *others'* areas of expertise, in my experience, are people using fake names on Twitter, or real names with no bio, or real names and a bio but no indication therein that they have *any* experience in what they're worked up about.

I guess my point is, we're all doing our best to marshal our knowledge bases, skill-sets, and esoteric resources and then also (if/when we're outside those) be *honest* about that fact, *except* the loudest complainers re: *others'* feeds, who are, basically, sorry to say, turds.

Anyway, just my two cents. I think if the way you're spending a national emergency is snarking strangers on Twitter, you've basically got nothing else to offer that anyone wants, and that's a fact you should be thinking hard about while engaged in the serious work of flaking off.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.