Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Oct. 12, 2019 1 min read

No affirmative responses. Yay. So ... here's what prompted my question.

I have made, over the years, a few references to sex or poly or bdsm when talking about computers.

Like when I said SREs are ultimately in control of a high performing engineering org, even tho product makes all the bossy noises. Sounds familiar, right?

Or when I said you can't trust a person's yes if you never hear their no. Or any of the stuff about consent culture.

This all feels very natural and funny and evocative to me. It is definitely the kind of thing I will continue saying to my friends.

But a couple women have had male colleagues quote me to them at work. And I feel squicky about that.

So I am deleting a couple of sentences from my blog archives, and will probably avoid making such analogies in the future.

Growing up never gets any easier, does it?

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.