Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Oct. 16, 2019 1 min read

My take (on tonight's debate only):

1️⃣ Warren
2️⃣ Sanders
3️⃣ Harris
4️⃣ O'Rourke
5️⃣ Booker
6️⃣ Castro
7️⃣ Klobuchar
8️⃣ Buttigieg
9️⃣ Steyer
🔟 Biden
1️⃣1️⃣ Yang
1️⃣2️⃣ Gabbard

PS/ Pete came off worse than he has in other debates (and I'm a Mayor Pete fan), and looking at the track record of the analysts who think he did well tonight {*ahem*} convinces me that I'm right. Pete just doesn't do well when he slips into artifice, smugness, and condescension.

PS2/ Some folks will like the new "Feisty Pete." I don't think it's a sustainable look for him. Warren didn't have her best debate *overall*, but showed she can stand on a stage where 11 people are attacking her and *that* is the biggest win anyone had tonight, in longterm terms.

PS3/ I also think there's a big drop-off after 9️⃣, so I'm not seeing Buttigieg as being as far from the top as some assume. I think he did fine; I also think it was his worst debate, in part because I think he *killed* it in all the other debates. So I put him where I did.

PS4/ I don't know, it's a bit suspicious that there's *universal* acclaim for Buttigieg/Klobuchar in the comments to this thread. I've been around Twitter long enough to see that *part* of it is some particular site or campaign sending folks here. Be less obvious about it, y'all!

PS5/ But hey, I respect everyone's opinion! Debate-watching is "one [person's] opinion of moonlight," and I hope folks will post their own lists in the thread below. There are many, many, *many* reasonable grounds for polite disagreement on all this stuff.

NOTE/ To the folks asking about my Yang placement, above: he was way off about election interference, legalizing hard drugs, a number of other things. When Yang is off on something, he tends to be *way* off (IMHO). But he *also* said some really interesting and important things.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.