Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Oct. 16, 2019 1 min read

Moderate Republicans and moderate Democrats are weighing in on tonight's debate, and I have to say I'm completely shocked that they and their media outlets are concluding that the two most moderate candidates on stage tonight not named Biden had great nights

It's *very* credible

1/ Amy and Pete both did well enough tonight, but the "break-out debate" narrative we're hearing now seems to be a really underdeveloped attempt to craft a simple narrative out of what was an incredibly complex series of interactions in U.S. history's largest ever primary debate

2/ You won't find many progressives who agree with Pete that America can (and knows how to) ban anything it wants *except* AR-15s; you won't find many progressives who agree with Pete that Medicare For All is a violent assault on high-quality healthcare or a tax-raising scheme...

3/ ...and I've heard 0 progressives say that they want Pete to be meaner, to score cheap points against debate opponents and say (as he just did on CNN) that he's "not sure" that any/all of the Top 12 Democratic candidates could beat Trump. But moderates are OK with much of that.

4/ CNN asked Pete about his contrived "courage" line (with Beto) and all Pete would say was he's trying to "move the conversation forward"—which no one who heard the line thought. I like Pete; could see him as a VP; but in shooting for POTUS he many lose a lot of us who like him.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.