Yashar Ali 🐘 @yashar New York Magazine/HuffPost Contributor Email: [email protected] Direct Messages Open Text/Call/Signal/Confide/WhatsApp: 310-795-2497. Agents: UTA Oct. 19, 2019 1 min read

California Assemblywoman @LorenaSGonzalez has launched a direct attack on press freedoms with her bill.

I’d say she should be ashamed of herself, but knowing her, shame is not a sensation she’s familiar with.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/everybody-is-freaking-freelance-writers-scramble-make-sense-new-california-law-1248195 

2. After I tweeted above, hundreds of freelance reporters have told CA Assemblywoman @LorenaSGonzalez how devastating her legislation will be

She’s responded defensively & retweeted this tweet calling me a “selfish piece of shit”

She plans on running for Secretary of State btw

3. Meanwhile her husband, a San Diego County Supervisor, a @UCSanDiego professor, and an appointee to @AirResources (courtesy of my former boss Gov Newsom) has tweeted that I’m a “total asshole,” (sometimes) and that “I hope he gets help”

Totally normal response

4. Thanks to everyone who got this issue to trend and featured as a Twitter moment

I’ll have more to say in the AM, particularly to two elected officials who can’t stand to be held accountable: Assemblywoman @LorenaSGonzalez and her husband San Diego Supervisor @nathanfletcher

5. Good Morning. Last night, after it was up for hours, CA Assemblywoman @LorenaSGonzalez undid a retweet of a tweet referring to me as a “piece of shit”

Don’t worry about me, I’ve been called worse

Just tells you everything you need to know about her

6. Important to note that one of California’s most powerful legislators, who authored a bill that hurts freelance reporters, is now deciding who is and isn’t a reporter

I don’t need to prove myself to @LorenaSGonzalez but there’s no doubt under CA law I’m a journalist

7. @MikeElk don’t you ever threaten me again.

And the newsroom unions I’ve supported would have something to say about your accusation.

Supporting freelancers does not make one a scab.

You can follow @yashar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.