Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Oct. 19, 2019 1 min read

I'm part of a charity event on Monday. How should I price each of my donated of jars of berry freezer jam? Fixed price? Auction?

Making jam helps me feel close to my mother who suffers from Parkinson's. I make jam after dinner. This is just some of what I made this summer.

25iQuiz: Are non-labor production costs related to each jar of jam relevant to the pricing decision? Assuming a quart jar of jam roughly:

Pectin $.75
Bakers Sugar: $1
Lemon: $.50
Berries: $3
Jar: $.75

Or are supply and demand the only factors that matter in setting price?

Why not use a Dutch Auction to price the jam?  https://www.google.com/amp/s/25iq.com/2015/08/09/a-dozen-things-ive-learned-from-sam-zell-about-investing-and-business-3/amp/  Auction begins with a high asking price and it is gradually reduced until someone accepts the price.

Whatever a person pays for a jar is 100% matched. $25 paid for jam means the food bank gets $50 in cash.

"Well the open-outcry auction is made to turn the brain into mush: you've got social proof, the other guy is bidding, you get reciprocation tendency, you get deprival super-reaction syndrome, the thing is going away." Charlie Munger

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.