Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Oct. 23, 2019 1 min read

a thing i just realized: @lizthegrey is my anger translator, but in reverse; she plays obama to my luthor. 🐝🌈✨

(good luck unseeing that y'all)

but yeah, shame on NewRelic for deliberately trying to muddy the waters about what an "event" means in the context of observability.

don't quote me if you deliberately ignore the content of what i'm saying.

any time someone is trying to push on you that o11y == metrics, logs, and traces, run away screaming. they do not have your best interests at heart.

"i hear u want car! cars are made up of wheels, seats, horses, and bridles, now buy those things from us and u 2 will have car!"

it literally is that shameless. they're banking on the truthiness of it -- sure, cars *do* generally have wheels and seats, but that is not what provides the car functionality, and you are leaving out the entire engin-- and by this point they are hoping you will have tuned out.

or chalked it up to intra vendor conflict, etc.

it makes me so angry because it's *so* cynical, and because it's probably going to work. >_<

in the short term, anyway.

we'll keep getting the sadder but wiser people who come to us because they've bought the hype, invested into those solutions, and become extremely angry when they don't work as promised.

there's a real human cost to this. fuckers.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.