Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Oct. 25, 2019 1 min read

I wrote about some of our fumbles and false starts with distributed teams, as well as why it's important (and why you should do it too). 🌷🌈

https://angel.co/blog/on-messing-up-your-remote-team-and-then-getting-it-right 

"It turns out that when you make the workplace safe for remote workers, it’s better for *everyone*. Once you have decoupled “doing work” from “being in a set place at a set time,” everybody gets more flexibility"

...and this translates into more productivity and happiness.

"It also forces managers to be more outcome oriented when evaluating employees’ productivity"

Not using "I can see them at their desk" as a proxy for impact has a million cascading ripple effects, and all of them are good.

You don't have to do distributed perfectly in order to go distributed. You just need to commit to dogged, continuous, incremental improvement.

People will complain. Boy, will they complain. This is good. This means it matters.

And finally... If you are a startup, going distributed will push you to grow up a bit faster. Distributed folks cannot run on the fumes of informalities and laissez-faire social cues. They need some structure and process to function.

This is a gift, even if you detest it.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.