Teri Kanefield @Teri_Kanefield Author, Lawyer (UC Berkeley) My threads are here: terikanefield-blog.com/ Bio: terikanefield.com/about-me George Papadopoulos called me deluded #TwitterMom Oct. 25, 2019 1 min read

This is a good question. I think we calmly call it what it is.

@tedlieu is really good at fact-based responses to this kind of dangerous behavior.

I'll find his tweet on this and attach it . . .

We know that the meritless claim that the Mueller investigation was illegal because of its origins has been a Trump-FOX-GOP talking point.

It's tempting to argue facts, law, and logic (which won't work).

Here's @tedlieu response:

It's exactly like the Ukraine scandal, which was an attempt to get Zelenskyy to open an investigation into the Bidens, while pretending like the investigation was Zelenskyy's idea.

Putin's reaction to being called a corrupt criminal is the same . . .

. . . he basically says, "We're ALL lying crooks. Russia is run by self-interested oligarchs, but the US is just as bad. Democracy doesn't work either."

Same idea.

Trump's "defense" goes like this "I'm no angel, but either is anyone else."

It creates Us v. Them politics. . .

. . . supporters say, "He's a lying crook, but he's OUR lying crook. Biden (or HRC, or whoever) is the enemy lying crook. So we may as well stick with our lying crook."

It's deeply cynical.

The antidote: Hold on to your principles and values, and recognize what's good.

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.