Seth Abramson+ Your Authors @SethAbramson Lawyer. Professor. NYT bestselling author. @Newsweek columnist with many appearances @CNN, @CBC, @BBC. My new book, Proof of Corruption, is at amzn.to/2TcvDsH. Oct. 30, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

(NEW ARTICLE): Stop Calling It the Republican Party

I write for NEWSWEEK below of the difficulties created for analysts—and everyone—in trying to distinguish the pre-Trump Republican Party from the political entity Trump now leads. Hope you'll pass it on.  https://www.newsweek.com/trump-party-not-republican-party-1468758 

PS/ I understand those who were angry at the GOP in (say) 1980, 1998, 2004, and 2014 want those subscribing to the 2019 edition as "Republicans" to face the music for past GOPs. That's *not* the same thing as (wrongly) arguing GOP policy positions didn't just shift diametrically.

PS2/ Historians may argue (say) racial anxiety has resided in the GOP since '64 and still—and that's true—but to go from (right or wrong) taking policy cues from law enforcement/intel agents to pretending any idiot can perfectly understand criminal justice policy is a sea change.

PS3/ Also, and I'm surprised more people don't note this, but Trump is drafting off a brand he has nothing to do with personally—making Republicans feel they need to stick with the brand (and therefore him). If he initiates the "Trump Party" it forces a *choice* for those people.

PS4/ Right now some percentage of Republicans (maybe only 5% to 15%) are sticking with the *party* more than they are with *Trump*. That creates false comfort for those who have in fact abandoned their policy positions. A "Trump Party" puts all the cards on the table all at once.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader