Teri Kanefield @Teri_Kanefield Author, lawyer (UC Berkeley) Threads are here: terikanefield-blog.com/ Impeachment notes: impeachment-trump.com/ Bio: terikanefield.com/about-me Oct. 31, 2019 1 min read

1/ CWeaver, remember last April when people were shouting "Impeach him right now!" and others were urging caution?

That was because there are dangers to impeachment.

(As an aside, "Impeach now" was also, technically, determining the verdict before the investigation)

2/ The drafters of the Constitution deliberately gave the power to impeach and remove to Congress. They considered giving it to the Supreme Court, but decided to give it to a political body.

So naturally there will be politics.

There was also something of a fantasy . . .

3/ . . . that as soon as public hearings began, Trump's approval would plummet (as with Nixon) and the Senators would have no choice but too remove.

That is always possible, but comparisons to Nixon are misplaced.
Trump isn't like Nixon, and Nixon didn't have Fox.

4/ A danger is that Trump's defense will be, "I did nothing wrong," the Senate acquits, and then Trump is emboldened and untouchable because there isn't time to impeach again (there is no drive-through due process; it always takes time)

5/ Here was one of my warning threads from last spring. I offer more optimistic conclusion (after, I realize, a fairly dark description of what to expect) ⤵️

I've been in favor of impeachment all along AND I believed Pelosi handled matters correctly.

I agree.
But Pelosi was very careful with her language, saying we were "following the facts," precisely because she doesn't want to appear to have already reached a conclusion.

People then accused her of being opposed to impeachment.

This is correct. It's about public opinion.
I think a real possibility is that Trump is acquitted, but the GOP splits as a result, and then they hobble toward Nov. 2020 in complete disarray.

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.