Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Collusion (Simon & Schuster) and Proof of Conspiracy (Macmillan, bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Professor. Lawyer. Nov. 01, 2019 1 min read

QUESTION: If the Republican Party excommunicates Justin Amash just so they can later claim that Amash's vote in favor of an impeachment inquiry doesn't make the vote bipartisan, isn't it *incumbent* on media to acknowledge that that's a scam and call the vote "bipartisan" anyway?

1/ In other words, why is the GOP being permitted to engineer a claim that the vote for an impeachment inquiry was wholly "partisan" by throwing out of the party anyone who would've voted in favor of it? That seems like a game of Three Card Monte that no reporter should fall for.

2/ And no, I am not at *all* convinced by the argument that "Amash voluntarily left" the party. He had been threatened in every single way you can threaten a politician, including the loss of all committee assignments, so let's not pretend that the GOP didn't *engineer* his exit.

PS/ I worded this question as a sarcastic hypothetical. I'm very much referring to what happened *months ago* to Amash, i.e. him leaving the party months ago. I'm saying Republicans were aware at the time that this would mean his vote for impeachment wouldn't count as a GOP vote.

NOTE/ Someone points out below that Amash as an Independent still makes the vote for impeachment arguably "bipartisan" (Amash doesn't caucus with the Democrats). But I haven't seen a reporter refer to it as such. They imply instead that only elected Democrats support impeachment.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.