Sloth Mom @CaseyExplosion Internet sloth, and gigantic nerd. Profile pic by @Skutchdraws and banner by @LiquidAzalea. She/her. Streaming Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sun at: twitch.tv/caseyexplosion Nov. 02, 2019 1 min read

Stop acting as if nonbinary is some weird new thing that only just popped into existence, when some of the trailblazers; my trans elders, were out there ripping up the gender binary decades before YouTube or Twitter existed. Genderqueer, nonbinary, it's always been a part of us.

"Gender is the poetry each of us makes out of the language we are taught." - Leslie Feinberg

Please, go read "Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, and the Rest Of Us" by Kate Bornstein.

Call it nonbinary, call it genderqueer, those trans people who didn't fit, or didn't feel comfortable, within a rigid male/female dichotomy? They have been with us all along.

They were activists, fighting for acceptance and understanding, authors writing foundational works in queer theory and expanding our collective understanding of what gender is. To claim otherwise is the erasure of our fiercest warriors and our most erudite poets and scholars.

And listen, I'm not the kind of person to "pull rank" generally, but as far as millennials go I'm old. I'm old enough to remember the fall of the Berlin wall. Anyone telling you the prevailing attitude of "older" trans people is the rejection of nonbinary identities is wrong.

Neither, for that matter, is the position of transmedicalism the prevailing attitude of 30+ trans folks. I started my transition back in 2010, the "oldschool" way with a diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder, and let me tell you, we all knew it was bullpucky then too.

Take stock of your own prejudices.

You can follow @CaseyExplosion.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.