Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Nov. 03, 2019 1 min read

I feel like there needs to be a ceremony or a party for managers when they go back to being ICs.

Burn some sage, change your email, paint your calendar black. Burn a sheaf of perf reviews. Dance naked on desks in the dead of night, softly chanting "not my problem, not my pr--"

Ahem. But this reminds me. We need to hear these stories. If you go from being a manager, director, VP etc to a senior IC role, I beg you to PLEASE write about it.

* why?
* how?
* how did you build institutional support?
* what has been most surprising?
* what's next?

If you write one, @dschenkelman or anyone else, I hereby offer myself as proofreader and editor.

And I will start a collection of these stories and link to it from this post, so they're easy to find.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/charity.wtf/2017/05/11/the-engineer-manager-pendulum/amp/ . So if you write one, be sure and DM or tag me. 🙏

Hey -- I can even do one better. If you had an interesting experience but aren't confident or struggle writing, I will pair with someone to

🧚‍♂️interview you🧚‍♀️

and

🌷write your story for you🌷

now that's fucking service

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.