Lessons from different fields:
1) Advertising: We overestimate our capacity for independent thought.
2) Poker: Life is probabilistic. We can do everything right and still lose.
3) Architecture: We're influenced by our environment, especially when we don’t realize it.
4) Sports: Momentum is the great equalizer. It strengthens the weak, and weakens the strong.
5) Logistics: Most of the economy is invisible to you. The world is way, way bigger than you think.
6) Politics: People's stated preferences can differ widely from their revealed ones.
7) Gambling: Don't give people consistent rewards. Vary the size and frequency of rewards instead.
8) Investing: A small number of events account for the majority of outcomes.
9) Writing: If you read what everybody reads, you'll think what everybody else thinks.
10) Coding: Don’t under-estimate the power of a computer with internet access.
11) Comedy: The deepest truths are hidden behind a veneer of humor.
12) History: The wisdom of civilization is written and forgotten, written and forgotten, written and forgotten.
13) Surgeons: In times of stress, use a checklist.
14) Nutrition: Eliminating junk is the fastest path to self improvement.
15) Restaurants: People over-estimate how much they value good food, and under-estimate how much they value ambiance and aesthetics.
15) Music: Many of humanity’s best creations are hundreds of years old.
16) Manufacturing: Quality and quantity aren’t always add odds with each other. Sometimes, you can have more of both.
17) Public Speaking: Laughter is the fastest way to create trust and connection.
18) Cooking: Your outputs are only as good as your inputs.
19) Private Equity: Avoid competition and remember that you’re not immune to base rates.
20) Growth Marketing: In the fastest growing Silicon Valley companies, customers become marketing advocates for the product.
You can follow @david_perell.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.