Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Collusion (Simon & Schuster) and Proof of Conspiracy (Macmillan, bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Professor. Lawyer. Nov. 08, 2019 1 min read

Listen up, @RealClearNews, you better retract *right now* your claim that I said Donald Trump Jr. was "on drugs" on The View. Read the damn tweet below a *second time*, amateurs.

It's no coincidence, is it, that RCP deliberately misquotes me 24 hours after I criticize them here.

1/ Here—below—is @RealClearNews deliberately misquoting me as retribution for me tweeting on October 8 (based on an article in THE DAILY BEAST), "A warning to readers of @RealClearNews: apparently it's a front for one of the most vile fringe-right Facebook pages on the internet."

2/ This is a good indication of where we've gone wrong as a culture: in this thread you have people...actual human people...reading the first tweet in this thread and saying "You _did_ say he was on drugs." Apparently me putting *asterisks* around the word "not" was insufficient.

3/ Moreover, I followed my original tweet with a *whole thread* about how law enforcement often says people are on drugs if they have bloodshot, glassy eyes when there are *many* other reasons it might happen. And I then listed all the damn possibilities! These folks are amazing.

4/ If I think a person is on drugs, I'll *say* it. The idea that after years of being unbelievably blunt on Twitter I'm going to suddenly pull punches—and over *Donald Trump Junior* of all people—is ridiculous. I've *never* made accusations about Don Jr. and drug use on my feed.

5/ RCP doesn't just want to write a news story about Trump Jr.'s appearance on the view—and there'd be plenty to write about there—it wants to smash-cut in mid-article to a misquote-heavy thinkpiece about the outrageous conduct of (as they see it) leftists. That's not journalism.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.